If you’re looking for better diesel fuel economy, more horsepower, and a diesel torque boost, an Adrenaline HPOP 7.3 upgrade might be the “unicorn” you’re after.
DHD has written extensively about 7.3 HPOP Upgrades, HPOP leaks, and HPOP R&R procedures. Now let’s go deeper with a down and dirty 7.3 HPOP solution that’s one of the best upgrades you can give your 7.3 Powerstroke.
Dead Head Diesel is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
What’s Included With a 7.3 Adrenaline HPOP
Dieselsite describes it as a “Higher-Volume High Pressure Oil Pump with mounting gasket and o-rings”
Wanna know where those gaskets and o-rings go? Get the full details on how to remove and replace the 7.3 Powerstroke HPOP.
Adrenaline HPOP 2 Year Warranty
Dieselsite says the warranty “…covers anything short of abuse, tampering and obvious physical damage caused by you. Warranties are VOID on any pump that has been tampered with.”
Bottom line — don’t mess with it, just install it.
2 Ways to get a 7.3 Adrenaline HPOP
- Pay a core fee that’s refundable once you send them your stock 7.3 HPOP
- Ship your used 7.3 HPOP core before you get your HPOP to avoid a core charge.
And, “YOU CAN SEND ANY YEAR 7.3L 1994-2003 FOR A CORE.”
7.3 Adrenaline HPOP Fitment
7.3 Adrenaline Compatibility
The Adrenaline HPOP 7.3 works with the following 7.3 injectors:
- AA Code Single Shot -1994-1997 7.3 – stock injectors to 200cc
- AB Code Split Shot – Early 1999 and California 1997 7.3 – stock injectors to 175cc
- AD Code Split Shot – 1999.5-2003 7.3 – stock injectors to 175cc
- AC Code Single Shot – T444E and 7.3 aftermarket – stock injectors to 200cc
- AD Hybrids – 7.3 aftermarket injectors – up to 285cc
7.3 Adrenaline Fitment
The 7.3 Adrenaline will fit 1994-2003 7.3 diesel Powerstrokes. However, there are two flavors/options to choose from and you have to specify which one fits your truck.
Adrenaline anti-drainback feature
- Option – 1994-1995 – with an anti-drainback feature
- Option – 1996-2003.5 – without the anti-drainback feature.
Adrenaline HPOP Fitting Thread Options
You’ve got a couple of fitting thread options that effect the price of the Adrenaline.
Given that over-torquing 7.3 HPOP fittings can ruin the entire high pressure oil pump and cause it to have to be refurbished again, you should at least be aware that the threads are … “sensitive.” (i.e. the o-rings on the fittings are what make the seal to the HPOP and NOT cranking down on the fittings with a crowbar!)
- Option – Standard OEM Threads
- Reinforced Stainless Steel Threads
7.3 Adrenaline HPOP Benefits
Dieselsite’s Adrenaline HPOP upgrade is a “bolt-on heavy-duty refurbished 7.3 HPOP replacement.” As such, the many reviews and reports I researched suggest you may get the following benefits:
- Even your stock 7.3 Powerstroke with no other mods may see a performance increase
- Better fuel economy in every model year 7.3
- 7.3 horsepower increases are heavily dependent on the size of injector upgrade that you combine with an Adrenaline upgrade.
- 7.3 torque, pulling power, increases in all model years
Bear in mind, it’s tough to get performance boosts out of upgraded, higher flow, injectors if you don’t upgrade your 7.3 HPOP. In Dieselsite’s own words “The bigger the injector – the more power gains.”
How much horsepower and torque improvements will a 7.3 Adrenaline get you?
Though the Adrenaline 7.3 HPOP upgrades are rebuilt and tested to exacting specs, every installation—every truck—is different. The reports and reviews I researched reported the following:
- A slight 1-3 MPG increase in 7.3 fuel economy.
- Driver noticeable increases in both 7.3 horsepower
- And towing torque perceptions that are consistent with the Dieselsite claims.
And though these are by no means scientifically, lab-tested results, every review points to happy 7.3 Powerstroke owners, reviving their tired and multi-hundred-thousand-mile diesels with a new Adrenaline HPOP at the core of their fuel delivery system.
And that ain’t bad.
Who should buy a 7.3 Adrenaline HPOP?
- Reviving a high mileage 7.3 Powerstroke
- Upgrading your injectors to higher flow performance injectors
- Trying to increase the torque, horsepower, and/or fuel economy of your 7.3 Powerstroke … even a little
- Getting ready to create your dream towing machine
A new Adrenaline HPOP for your 7.3 is a great place to start!
Get the 7.3 Adrenaline HPOP on Amazon
Get the 7.3 Adrenaline HPOP on eBay
Adrenaline HPOP 1/4 Mile Speed Test
Here’s a fun video, testing a 7.3 with an Adrenaline HPOP on a 1/4 mile drag strip. The guy spitting as the truck passes by seals it. “That dog will hunt, right there!”
Further Reading on the 7.3 HPOP
If you want to get down into the details of the 7.3 Powertroke HPOP as well as the HEUI fuel delivery system, here are our top articles on the 7.3 HPOP.